Tuesday 4 April 2017

Why Travelling is Good for the Soul!

Good movies often set the bar real high for real life. Moana the new Disney film captures the concept perfectly, escaping your home town for something with more adventure. Home Alone, also creating joyous moments, in the comfort of your own house. Some of you may want something in between the two, to kick start your journey. I found Moana fitted my description the best, a story I will attempt to capture in my own life for the rest of it. Don't be to frightened to step beyond the shores you know so well.


In my adult life, I find myself constantly wondering of the “S” word – settling. As a kid, you are constantly stimulated with little adventures mostly of your own making. Strangely a lot of them are simple memories but memories that fill you with such excitement, even if it was just raiding your friends treat cupboard without trying to get noticed by their mum. Or playing hide and seek with a big group of people and almost giggling but having to keep quiet at the same time because your suppose to be hiding. Every tiny thing holds a sense of wonder and interest and possibility, then you grow up and that feeling numbs out a bit. Actually, a lot of feelings do that.

It’s hard to capture that super intense feeling of the first time you had this feeling. It has taken me a while to realise that adventuring doesn’t go away, it might just require bigger picture adventures and usage of holiday, taking it off of work in order to get the job done. It’s important to your creative mind as well as your heart to transport yourself to another world regularly, no matter where the rest of your life is – whether that be tied up in a clean and pretty bow or in complete disarray. Mine probably falls somewhere in the middle.

Although I’d like to think that I would plan adventures alone, it helps to find a few good travel buddies, and a good travel buddy is harder to find than one would think. One of the most scariest things is to step out of your comfort zone, and it often requires a little push from your parents or loved ones. Once your out there you notice why they pushed you, maybe wondering why they didn't give you the shove beforehand, or why you didn't give it to yourself. Now you're almost there it is the time to discover the world for yourself.

A month ago I left for maybe my most adventurous trip yet, travelling South East Asia. Starting with Thailand and ending up in Bali. I live for the hardships of travel as much as the sweet spots, and there are usually many of each. The thrill of “have we got enough petrol in our mopeds to get round the whole island?” to “do you think they’ll murder us?” to “I love this,” and “I can’t wait to start planning another.”

For me Playlists are key. The best thing ever is going home and replaying songs to replay memories in your mind. Keep that Moana heart of yours going, keep that kid inside you happy and joyous. Take maps, write things down, take so many pictures, then don’t take any pictures at all.

Never stop adventuring, and you’ll never feel settled. You only ever really grow up in your heart if you stop growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment