Sunday 9 April 2017

Last Few Days of Thailand

My last few days in Phuket, Thailand was spent back at our first stop, Patong beach. We didn't really do much here. We stayed at a different hostel from our first choice as I wanted to have a decent sleep. Our previous hostel Patong backpacker served us well but the rooms were noisy at night as it was just off of Bangla Road, the strip of Phuket. Boy I was wrong thinking I would get a good sleep in this new hostel. It wasn't noisy which was a nice change for Patong, but the mattresses were like sleeping on planks of wood. They were similar to the hospital beds which I experienced. No wonder NHS hospitals in England are always full, we make our beds too comfy for the sick, hospitals out here were very quiet. Maybe the expense of the also adds to that factor.

When we arrived at out hostel I was overwhelmed with cuteness as they owned a husky puppy. The puppies name was cola and it had adorable blue eyes with a white tip on her tail. She instantly loved Dan and I. Most of our downtime at the hostel I spent cuddling the little excited ball of fluff. She was full of energy and teething, so she wanted to carefully bite you to wear down those baby teeth of hers. Cola was a new addition to the family and they had only owned her a mere couple of weeks. It was evident it was their first time looking after animals. They needed to learn a huge amount more about caring for dogs. They handled her incorrectly, fed her the wrong diet and they didn't have constant water out for her. This all changed when I arrived I taught them how to care for a dog, which was much needed.

On our second day in the hostel, I had just finished getting ready for the day ahead and sudden to our shock we heard an awful cry of pain. I instantly rushed to the balcony to see what it was all about, I saw the owner hit cola to stop her from crying. My heart started racing as her cries continued, this wasn't right and it was worst that they tried to quiet her when she was only letting us know she was in pain. I ran downstairs, she was my baby already, and I loved her. I saw her owner holding her (fairly badly) and one of her legs were flopping. I asked what happened even though I had already guessed as I saw her shouting at a man, and too right aswell. A taxi had run over her leg. May I take you back a few steps, this hostel is on a dead end road with very very little traffic. It was surprising that out of all the places to have a crash or incident that it was here. The owner of cola was furious at the taxi driver, he took no responsibility for the accident, didn't apologise or even show any remorse or even apologise for that matter.

Cola was rushed instantly to the nearest vet. After all the distress, we decided to calm ourselves with a nice trip to the beach. When we returned back to the hostel cola was still not back. Worried, I wondered if it needed operating and maybe was more serious. Half an hour after being back at the hostel and waiting downstairs for her to come home, she did. However, she was in a cone of shame, drugged up and her back leg totally plastered in a cast. Bless her the little fighter that she was she didn't let this stop her from playing, but Dan and I were encouraging her to rest.

3 days we spent here until Grace and George arrived. Grace arrived saying I need to go to hospital, those were almost her first words to me; not another disaster I thought. The night before coming to Patong she had fallen with a glass bottle in her hand, which had shattered and gone into her finger; cutting it deep. She had to have it redressed daily, luckily we weren't too far from the local hospital. 6 or 7 stitches she had in total, not what you want, especially when arriving at your first beach area. Her trying to swim was a little entertaining for others as she wrapped plastic bags round it, in order to prevent it from getting wet.

Unfortunately when grace and George arrived we were due rain everyday. We managed to spend one day at the beach the entire time we were with them, where grace badly burnt herself. But the disasters didn't end there. One evening we went out for a couple drinks nothing too much, we decided to play a game of beer pong. It was dans turn he threw the ping pong ball and missed, it had bounced and landed underneath the bar. I went to get it and as I came up, I smashed my head on the bar. Totally disorientated I didn't feel right I let grace take my next three or four goes and my vision still hadn't returned to normal. That's when I got concussion. Typical me, especially as I'm someone who has a great fear of head injuries. I put an ice cube on it as I thought it would swell a lot that's when I noticed the ice cube had blood on it, I had cut my head open. I asked George to take a photo, even though everyone was saying it was small I had to see for myself.

An inch long cut and a few millimetres wide, not so bad. I didn't want to use my insurance again as it was only a cut so I got grace to do some hair stitches, which involve using the hair to pull the skin back together. 3 of these and I was ready to continue playing. This is hopefully the end of any disasters.

On our last night together we went out for some street food. I ordered my usual stir fried vegetables, rice and Spring rolls. The stir fry ended up being cooked in oyster sauce, which is like 10-20% oyster, so I couldn't have that just ate my rice and rolls. Dan ordered some macaroni cheers which ended up not to be macaroni cheese at all, he had a funny stomach so his weird pasta probably wasn't the best choice. We said goodbye to George and grace who continue onto Phi Phi island, it was a lovely way to finish Thailand. Philippines here we come.



No comments:

Post a Comment