Monday 13 March 2017

Travelling through Oslo

So it's the 10th March. Yesterday was my 20th birthday and I'm ready as I've ever been to get out and see the world. I can't wait to find the people I will meet, the amazing landscapes I'll see but most of all let's not deny the hot weather is what I will enjoy the most. I love England but I find living there is tedious as the weather is never quite satisfying enough the mist and grey days definitely outweigh the glorious sunny ones.

I begin to endeavour on our 33 hour journey which is a once in a lifetime opportunity as you will only want to do it once in your life. I had to stop over in Oslo, Norway for 16 hours and because I'm on a budget I saved myself £200 on over priced airport hotels by just staying in the airport. Now this really was a first for me, getting to watch the sunrise over all the parked up planes was incredible especially when the morning in Norway was so crisp at -6 degrees. As Oslo is a small airport there wasn't a huge proportion of people staying over but we definitely hunted and found the best spot.

Now if you are a ever personally staying over in Norway I recommend either staying where you collect your bags in baggage reclaim as they have one of the only places with benches with out bloody armrests preventing you from lying down. So if you can't stay there head straight to Starbucks at the very entrance of the airport this is the only place with sofas there are 4 sofas we took 2 and we turned around to see a trend of people running for the last two sofas.

If your hungry or thirsty there is vending machines which surprisingly even accept Apple Pay. But stock up on breakfast prior to travelling if you have to stay in Oslo over night because the earliest place open is Starbucks and they open at 6:30am which felt forever to come around. Also helpful to have a few movies downloaded to your devices, it does get tedious and unfortunately we can't just sleep 16 hours straight, so Dan and I watched the little prince.

Now in my blog I mention my packing list I was stupid enough to not remember a bed sheet as this would of been very helpful also a travel cushion. So if you are doing long travels at a time like mine of 33 hours just bring them even if your bag is 15kgs and technically too heavy for you to carry- like me.

My trip so far is going well even though I've not even made it to Thailand yet. However, I forgot to book a veggie meal for my 11 hour plane journey. I thought of a way they could abolish this and everyone could eat on aeroplanes. Have all fricking veggie meals meat is a luxury if we cut out meat on aeroplanes it'd help the snviroment so much. So I encourage any traveler to have the veggie option also it's usually nice. This way everyone can eat and if your really fussy do what all veggies have to do now and book online specifically for meat. Fortunately I brought a huge portion of chips on the plane with me and lots of oranges that someone had left in Starbucks throughout my duration there.

Also a tip with buying any plane tickets via kiwi.com double check if it's long haul about the food supply whilst your in the air because half of our plane didn't realise whether your veggie or not you had to book the food even the meat one. It was also a 3 day notice period you had to give to the airline about the food, so beware as it had no details about this on kiwi as you actually had to do it via the airlines website. Also since being in Thailand and spending time with other travellers, I've also encountered lots of other travellers facing a lot of other problems with kiwi.com. One guy I met from Netherlands he had 3 flights cancelled on him when he got to the airport and they had false advisement of ticket prices so go charged double. So please be wary sometimes it might be better paying the extra £50 just to not book via them.

On my plane journey to Bangkok I changed seats yesssssss!! Got 2 seats to myself something much deserved after Oslo. I met a lovely 22 year old Swedish guy called Erik. He was awesome, we had so much to talk about. Erik however was more sensible he knew Norwegian airways weird food policies so he had booked his Gluten free meal in advance he then stole me a breakfast so least I got some nibbles, bless him.



No comments:

Post a Comment