Saturday 3 June 2017

Are You a New Christian and Don't know What to Pray?

Sometimes as a new Christian we can be a bit baffled or overwhelmed when it comes to prayer, what is it, what do we use it for, why do we do it. Hopefully I can offer a bit of help when it comes to this area. If anyone knows me I am kind of a new Christian myself I gave my life to Jesus 2 years ago and the journey has been amazing, challenging at points but the most worthwhile one.
When I first became Christian I was eager to pray about everything and anything and I was in awe of Gods presence but I also had guidance with the best way to pray and I also found God through prayer so I already knew it's importance and the role it plays in our day to day lives. However, I realise that not everyone has these advantages so I'm here to take you through prayer.

What Is Praying?

Praying is simply talking to God, we have the power of the Holy Spirit within us and we can use that to contact God directly. It's like having him on the other end of the phone, a phone whose line is never engaged and never goes to voicemail. That's a great thing but another awesome thing is that prayer has power, because you are contacting the almighty creator of this earth, he WILL answer, whether it's immediate or not, or whether it's easy to hear the answer or not. It's also really important to remember to thank god in prayer, we usually should start with this as it is the most important part, to thank him for everything in his creation as it all has purpose. This also helps to remind us that sometimes the little things don't matter he is good and has a greater reasoning that we not understand or see.

Why Do We Pray?

Us Christians pray because firstly it says to in the bible, we also know that Jesus prays so it must be important, if we didn't pray we wouldn't receive answers to help guide us on our journeys. Praying also benefits God as it declares what's on our hearts, he already knows everything we are going to say to him before we say it but it's good to reconfirm your love and trust in him. Prayer is also linked with praise and our hearts are designed to praise God and prayer is an excellent way to do this. I will show you later on examples of praising through prayer.

What Do We Use It For?

We use prayer for a number of reasons, sometimes to seek strength or comfort, sometimes just to generally chat to God, to ask for healing, to release our emotions: but probably the most common is to ask for his hand over a situation or to help us. Not only as Christians should we pray for our own lives but for other people's. Sometimes it's powerful to physically speak out your prayers, this can be by yourself or with others, sometimes it good to hear when you are getting prayed over or you are praying over someone as the Holy Spirit can guide your voice to speak into yours or others lives. Prayer is almost like a super power, it can hugely impact someone's life, even totally change their life; God listens to our prayers. Revelations can happen because of prayer but remember our God is a living God who impacts the earth and our lives directly now, if you want to read a faith story on prayer I have posted my testimony to encourage others.

Now you know a little bit more about prayer I encourage every reader to pray everyday and see what God can do for you in your life or others around you. Never give up on prayer because you never know when God might guide you or answer them and the power of prayer in the masses can be even more effective.

You might still be wondering this is great but where do I begin. I'm going to post some daily example prayers to help you out, remember though you can speak however formally or informally you want God loves you and is just happy to have your heart connecting and speaking to him.

Dear Lord,

Thank you for this day. Thank you that I am a witness to your creation and I have the joys of being in it. Thank you for Jesus and that you gave us your only son, and thank you that you are all loving God who's grace and mercy is so mighty you forgive us of any sin. Thank you for the Holy Spirit and that it lives inside me, use me as a vessel to others I come into contact with who don't yet know your greatness. I pray that you will guide me in wisdom so I get to know more about you and who are are, I pray that your truths are set deep in my heart and that I know your love for me. I also pray that you can guide me onto the path you have desired for me and that you use me to guide others. Thank you that you know my situation in life right now and thank you that you make all things work together for my good. I lift up my heart to you right now Jesus I ask that you work within me to become more like you.

In Jesus' Almighty Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment